Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Sewer records

Private sewer ownership

Two water authorities cover the Tandridge District, Thames Water and Southern Water. An important change took place on 1 October 2011 regarding private sewers (and lateral drains*) which existed before 1 July 2011 and are shared with another property or run through another person's land and connect to the sewers owned by them. These are now owned by the water authority and it is their responsible for the maintenance of these drains.  Please visit the Thames Water and Southern Water websites for further guidance.

*The lateral drain is the part of your private drain that lies outside your property boundary under public land (the highway, footpaths, verges) or private land.

For those properties that fall within the Thames Water area they have provided the following helpful guidance note

How it involves you

If you are proposing to build over or close to these drains you will need to notify the relevant water authority to check their requirements for building over or close to these drainsSee more information at responsibility for private drains and sewers.

Public sewer records

The map below shows which water authority has responsibility for the public sewers in the Tandridge District. Copies of more detailed maps showing public, but not private (which we don't hold), sewers are available to view at our offices.watermap