Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Retrospective applications

If you have carried out work without a building regulations application you can apply to building control for a Regularisation Certificate.

Work carried out after 11 November 1985 can be regularised but it can be a lengthy process, especially if extensive work is required to bring a building back up to standard. A Regularisation application will need to be made to the building control department in the area where the work was carried out and you will need to include full details and plans showing the work carried out, along with payment of the relevant charge 

Once this information has been provided you may have to open up/uncover the work, so it can be inspected and checked by the building control surveyor. Provided the work is satisfactory, a Regularisation Certificate will be issued, but sometimes remedial work is needed first.

Making a Regularisation application is not a guarantee of a Regularisation Certificate being issued and not having a certificate could affect your home insurance and your ability to use or sell a property.

If the work does not have Planning Permission you should also check whether this is needed by referring to our Planning pages.